Strathcona County RCMP Reminds Residents To Be Vigilant When Online Shopping
Nov. 19, 2020
Strathcona County RCMP reminds residents to be vigilant when online shopping
Sherwood Park, Alta. – The holiday season is fast approaching and many people have already began their shopping. As a result of the pandemic, more people will be turning to online shopping to complete their gift giving.
Online shopping is not only convenient but with next-day delivery, great deals and the endless catalogue of purchasable items, online shopping has only grown in popularity. While the increased availability of online shopping is convenient, it also makes it more lucrative for scammers to trick buyers into paying for goods they won’t receive or obtain their personal information for financial gain.
Being a safe online shopper means taking extra security precautions when purchasing items and thinking before you click.
Here are some tips for protecting yourself online:
- Don't purchase anything while using public Wi-Fi; shop using your own data connection or a trusted network.
- Beware of ads encouraging users to click on links. If you receive an enticing offer, do not click on the link. Instead, go directly to the company’s website to verify the offer is legitimate.
- Research retailers before purchasing from them. Check for reviews and their return policy.
- Only purchase from sites using HTTPS rather than HTTP.
- If you've done some shopping already, watch your financial statements for any unauthorized purchases.
- Be sure to use strong passwords.
- If a deal is too good to be true, it probably is.
For more information on scams contact the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre online atwww.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca or toll free at 1-888-495-8501. If you believe you may be the victim of fraud or have given personal or financial information unwittingly, contact the Strathcona County RCMP Detachment at 780-467-7741.
Leave A Comment