Strathcona County RCMP Provide Tips To Prevent Vehicle Thefts
Nov. 19, 2020
Strathcona County RCMP provide tips to prevent vehicle thefts
Strathcona County, Alta. - As we progress into the frosty winter season, the Strathcona County RCMP is once again urging motorists to make proactive choices that can prevent auto theft. Do not leave vehicles running unattended, for any period of time, and remove keys from vehicles.
Driving a warm, toasty vehicle is tempting when it is cold outside. It only takes a moment for a potential thief to jump into a running and unattended vehicle and drive away.
Strathcona County RCMP have the following safety tips to keep your vehicle secure, not only in the winter but the warmer months as well:
- Never leave a running vehicle unattended. If your keys must be in the ignition to warm it up, drivers should remain with their vehicle.
- Install a remote starter if possible, however, always make sure the vehicle is locked.
- Use a steering wheel lock to deter thieves.
- Never leave children unattended in a running vehicle.
- Never leave spare keys or garage door openers in or around your vehicle.
- If your keys are stolen, immediately change the locks
- Always lock the door leading from a garage into a residence
“Auto thefts can occur any time of the year, but police see an increase during the colder months,” says Constable Chantelle Kelly of the Strathcona County RCMP. “Don’t leave your vehicle running unattended, as it takes a fraction of a second for it to be taken.”
So far in 2020, police have investigated 164 stolen vehicles in which 25% have been determined that keys were left in the vehicle or left running unattended.
The RCMP encourages residents to report any suspicious activity or vehicles immediately by calling the Strathcona County RCMP at 780-467-7741. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), online at www.P3Tips.com or by using the "P3 Tips" app available through the Apple App or Google Play Store.