Strathcona County RCMP Arrest Two People For Mail Theft
Dec. 16, 2021
Strathcona County RCMP arrest two people for mail theft
Strathcona County, Alta. – On Dec. 13, 2021 at 3:27 a.m., Strathcona County RCMP responded to a report of an alleged break and enter into a mailbox in the Nottingham area of Sherwood Park, Alta.
Police located the vehicle involved and conducted a traffic stop on Wye Road near Ordze Avenue in Sherwood Park and two people were arrested.
Incidental to arrest the vehicle was searched and police located stolen mail, identification cards, bank cards, mail keys and cheques.
Osagie Otasowie (39) and Jolene Shimkoff (42) both of Edmonton, Alta. have been charged with:
- Possession of stolen property under $5000
- Possess a forged document
- Mischief over $5000
- Possess break-in instruments
- Theft from mail
In addition, Jolene Shimkoff has been charged with two counts of fail to comply.
Osagie Otasowie and Jolene Shimkoff were released following a Judicial Interim Release hearing and both are scheduled to appear in Sherwood Park Provincial Court on Jan. 19, 2021.
A few reminders to assist in preventing mail theft:
- Pick up your mail promptly after delivery. Don’t leave it in your mailbox overnight.
- If you’re planning a holiday, have someone retrieve your mail on a daily basis OR for a small fee, Canada Post will hold your mail at the delivery office and deliver it upon your return.
- Check the physical security of your mailbox to ensure there are no gaps or damage.
- If you see a damaged or overturned mailbox, contact Canada Post to report.
- Do not send cash or cheques in the mail.
Residents are encouraged to contact the Strathcona County RCMP at 780-467-7741 if they believe they are a victim of mail theft or if they observe and suspicious vehicles or persons loitering around community mailboxes. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), online at www.P3Tips.com or by using the "P3 Tips" app available through the Apple App or Google Play Store.