Strathcona County RCMP Warn Residents Of Kijiji Scam
Sherwood Park, Alta. – Strathcona County RCMP warn residents that online scams are more prevalent than ever before and increased vigilance is necessary as scammers continue to find creative ways to victimize trusting people.
Within the last week three people have fallen victim to a Kijiji scam involving the purchase of a vehicle. All three complainants sent an e-transfer as a deposit to hold the vehicle until they could attend. The suspect provided an address in Sherwood Park, Alta. for the complainants to pick up the vehicle and provide the remainder of the money for the sale. When the complainants attended the address it was determined to be a scam.
Strathcona County RCMP continues to investigate.
It's difficult to see who is real and who is just a scammer behind the monitor, but you can protect yourself - you just need to know what kind of frauds are out there and the best practices to keep your identity, money, and personal information safe.
Here are some tips to keep in mind when using buy and sell sites on the internet:
- Meet in a local, public and safe location to complete the exchange.
- Beware of generic emails with bad grammar.
- Beware of overseas buyers who want to buy unseen items.
- Never send money to get money.
- If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Ask a lot of questions. If the seller is reluctant to answer questions, give information about the item they are selling, meet or give you an address to where you can meet, that should raise a red flag.
For more information on scams contact the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre online at www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca or toll free at 1-888-495-8501. If you believe you may be the victim of fraud or have given personal or financial information unwittingly, contact the Strathcona County RCMP Detachment at 780-467-7741.