Strathcona County RCMP Remind Motorists To Drive Safely This Long Weekend
Strathcona County RCMP remind motorists to drive safely this long weekend
Sherwood Park, Alberta – Strathcona County RCMP are reminding residents that although many people have the upcoming long weekend off work, officers will be out in full force throughout the long weekend to ensure drivers are being safe. Motorists can expect to see an increase in traffic volume and a significant increase in the number of RV’s and motorcycles on the roads.
Although it is easy to get distracted by unfamiliar surroundings and beautiful landscapes, everyone can do their part to ensure their safety and that of others. It is important to respect the posted speed limits, staying focused on the roadway and not engaging in risky driving behaviours.
“We encourage residents to buckle up, be patient and slow down, put the cellphone away and enjoy the long weekend,” says Cst. Chantelle Kelly of the Strathcona County RCMP. " We want people to get where they are going, enjoy their time there, and get back home safely.”
Safe driving habits can reduce collisions on roads and save lives. Some road safety tips include:
- Plan ahead and be realistic about travel times. Allow extra time for possible delays that may occur.
- Long road trips can be tiring for drivers and passengers but also hard on your vehicle. Make sure it’s up to the drive. Remember to check the engine oil, washer fluid, lights and inspect the vehicle tires, including the spare, to make sure they are in good condition and properly inflated.
- Drivers should slow down, use extra caution and keep a look out for other road users.
- Whether travelling a long distance or a short trip, always maintain safe travelling distance between vehicles.
- Always wear a seatbelt, follow the speed limit and drive according to conditions.
- Don’t drive impaired. Plan ahead for a safe ride home.
The Strathcona County RCMP work diligently every day with our communities to make Alberta roads and highways safer for all.
Leave A Comment