Strathcona County Crime Watch Association -
"The Eyes and Ears of Your Community"
PERSONAL SAFETY TIPS FOR YOUR HOME
- Get to know your neighbours. Make arrangements to keep an eye on each other's property when away.
- Draw drapes or close blinds after dark.
- If a stranger asks to use your phone, offer to make the call yourself. Do not let them inside your home.
- In apartments or condos list only your initials and last name on your mailbox near your main entrance. Do not use Mr., Mrs., Ms or Miss.
- Never give out personal information over the phone to solicitors or unwanted callers.
- Have emergency telephone numbers on or near your phone.
- Make sure your entrances to your home are well lit. Use a timer or motion sensor.
Here are some things you can do to prevent thieves from breaking into your home.
- Install Peepholes that allow 180 degree viewing.
- Ensure inside locks are at least one metre from any glass.
- Exterior doors are solid core.
- Doorjambs are securely fastened.
- Ensure double hung windows are securely pinned.
- Ground level and Basement windows should have a locking mechanism.
- Curtains or Window Coverings should cover the entire window.
- Place a strip of wood in the sliding window track.
- Ensure you garage door closes tightly and is locked.
- Garage windows should be locked and covered.
- Keep your garage door remote out of sight as thieves can use this to get into your home.
- While away cancel your newspaper and mail delivery.
- Have someone checking your home frequently.
- Use a timer on interior lights.
- Do not leave a key hidden outside.
- Have a friend or trusted service keep up with all yard work (ie: grass cutting, snow clearing etc.).